Monday, May 9, 2011

Saving for the Rainy Days

I don't know what is wrong with me but for the past few days something inside me tells me to save and not spend on things that I really don't need.

I came across a book on Abundance a couple of weeks ago. It says there that abundance is not how much you have but appreciating how much you have. I couldn't agree more. I have shared in some of my blog entries before that sometimes I find myself getting scared already because I catch myself buying and buying some more. May it be food, clothes, books, toys for my children. Name it. It's just that there is this urge inside me that just wants to spend! I shared that I felt scared because I knew it wasn't me anymore. And the fact that I was able to buy those things and still have somethin in our pockets. Simply stated, I felt rich. (Rich as compared to what we had before, that will be another blog entry ;))

So when I came across that book, I felt relieved. Probably that is the reason I felt "rich". I felt "rich" because I got to appreciate everything that I have now, I felt we had plenty, and I am very thankful. I know that we are not really rich as compared to the billionaires and millionaires we see around us, nor are we as rich as some of our friends, but I feel rich because I believe that God has granted us much, what we need and sometimes, what we want, and I appreciate all of it.

Now back to saving. I wouldn't want to abuse this feeling "rich" because I know that it is also good to save up for the rainy days. Last week, I came across this feature that gave saving tips for households/families in Aus--cost of living contiue to rise!. One tip was to look and clean up your pantry. I guess it was doable that is why I am doing it. I have this habit of having a plus1 of everything we have at home. Let us say that if I have opened a new bottle of oyster sauce, the next time I am at the shops I will aready buy a new one to be stocked in our pantry, even if I haven't even used up all the oyster sauce I just opened. The reason? I don't want to find myself rushing to the shops if ever I already needed one. Semi-hoarding? hehehe. So the ending? I have a lot of food and cooking ingredients waiting to be opened. The funny thing is, sometimes, it takes more than 3 or 4 months before the old one runs out and I get to finally open the plus1 stock. Or worse, some of them just wait for the expiration date in the pantry and end up in the bin once I find out it has expired already! Such a waste right?

So now, I am dead set to clean up my pantry and save us well. I told this project to hubby and he is supportive of this. I told him we have to eat everything in the pantry first before I buy new ones, which includes chips and his "pulutans." One beauty that I see in this? Not only am I saving but I also get to buy only the food that I really want to eat.

I made a little progress last Friday as I didn't add anything new to the pantry saving us dollars already from our weekly budget :)

yipee! :)