Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's in the Genes?

Liam had their mother's day program this morning. Last night up until this morning he kept on singing Advanced Australia Fair -- the national anthem of Australia. He told me they will be singing it this morning.

Now when it was time for them to sing (programs here are VERY simple as compared to Manila. They don't even have a stage, props, etc)...parents are just standing up, while the kids sat on their corner, Liam did not sing! I was recording it because I wanted to show his singing to his Papa when he gets home from work. But no! After three or was it four songs, he didn't join them. He was just sitting there observing. Hands in his pockets. He's telling me something, I thought he was telling me: "I'm tired." When he looks at me I try to give him encouranging glances to sing, but no effect. Well, let's just say the last straw was when they had the last song and this time it was an action song, everyone stood up, except for him!

When the class finished with their songs, I went to him (to tell him as well that I and his sister would have to go and leave him now because we still had to go to Sam's swimming lessons) and asked him what was wrong. His reply was: "I told you Mama, I was thirsty." Head bowing down. I whispered I'm sorry and told him it was alright and I bid goodbye. He was ok after that. When his teacher called his name for the class roll, he now responded.

Two things: First, was it my fault he did not perform well? I remember him acting like this way during their Christmas concert at Yogies last December. The thing was after we gave him water and food during the break, he was already performing well and happily! So should I have given him water this morning so I could have seen what I wanted to see?

Second: Is it in the genes? I will not be surprised if he suddenly becomes shy and tongue tied and quiet when there are a lot of people he is not familiar with. Why? Alvin is like that (though he has improvd already LOL). And Liam's grandparents, uncles and aunts. All in the Balintec family are like that. Now, how can I beat that? Sometimes, it's ok with me when Alvin acts up like that, but at other times (and more) I am wishing he and they weren't. Their silence/quietness is just too much. Sometimes I feel they need to step up and go out of their shells already!

So now, I am praying Liam will outgrow his shyness, if ever it is case number 2. But I am praying, that it's just case number 1. Really, I'd rather take the blame than him to be growing up being extremely quiet, all because it is in his genes!