Sunday, May 22, 2011

cooking shows

I am one of the million (billion?) people who enjoys watching cooking shows. It didn't happen overnight. I remember watching Wok With Yan with much gusto when I was still a kid. Saturday afternoons at Channel 9 :) Then, the Del Monte Kitchenomics segment of Eat Bulaga every weekends. I was entertained alright but I think at that time, I was too young to learn everything. But still, those shows inspired me to cook. Of course, as a young kid, it was a bit hard to do the things they were doing on the shows. I had to wait to grow up.

I can say that I am lucky to have a hubby who loves to cook as well. Back in Manila, we watched new cooking shows and tried to make dishes and learn from the tips shared by the chefs. Now based here in Australia, our family spends time together relaxing and watching more cooking shows. At present we are hooked with the reality cooking shows -- My Kitchen Rules and Master Chef. The funny and good thing is, Liam is hooked as well. I have already shared in my previous blog how these shows inspire him to cook -- during his pretend play with his cousins, and also helping us out now in small ways when we cook at home. He is even hooked in watching youtube videos of baking and cake design.

Back to cooking shows. I have started to learn and practice the techniques I have been seeing at these shows. I super love the Master Class episodes of Master Chef because we get so much tips!

Because of these shows:

a. my culinary vocubulary is now increasing. It is not limited to baking :) I already know the meaning of some words like venison, poach, braise, etc.

b. i already know more cooking techniques like poach, and knowing the diff kinds of potatoes and ways to cook them

c. i am now more adventurous in tasting new dishes -- like crocodile meat, emu meat,kangaroo meat. if it wasn't for these shows, i think i won't give in to tasting dishes made up of these animal meat.

d. i get to whip up a new and exciting dish for my family

e. i get to do the easy dishes and make my family happy :)

maybe the cooking shows' formats changed over the years but one thing is for sure, they will always be here to stay.