Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tithing

Are you familiar with the term? The first time I encountered that word was ages ago! My parents were the ones who introduced it to me, not formally, but I was able to see them do it when they became active members of the Catholic community we were all involved in.

It was a bit hard for me to comprehend at that time why they continued to give even if we were already facing financial difficulties. We could better use the money at home and besides, they say that charity begins at home, right? But they continued to give. Not only in the community but also in the parish we belong to. Weird. Whenever I ask my Mama why they do it, there was no staright answer. It was only like giving me an advice that I shouldn't worry, that the more they give, the more we will receive. Still I didn't comprehend it.

Soon, one by one, we had our own jobs and I think my Kuya and Ate has imbibed the same spirit of geneoristy my parents showed through tithing. But let's just say, I was a bit different. My reason was always because I am not like them, and I am not earning as big as them. My Kuya like my Mama, would kid me every now and then, telling me that my nickname fits me very well, Pot for kuriPOT (thrifty). Sometimes I laugh, but most of the times I fret.He tells me I handle money too tightly. I should loosen it a bit so more blessings will come my way. I was a witness on how this can very much happen...because it did happen to my Kuya a lot of times. Whenever he gives something, something comes back in return! But still, I can't seem to force myself to give more when what I have is just enough for me.

Now, after several years, I can finally say, that I have learned my lesson and have started to embrace the same thinking. I am a living proof of His generosity. Every now and then, I have found myself and my family just having enough. Meaning? The money that we have is just enough for our weekly expenses (this excludes our untouchable savings). But I still give. When I have casual work and we receive more than the usual, I give additional tithes as well. And I can say that the financial blessings have not stopped. In times that I thought our money would not be enough, somethng comes up and soon my worries and problems are solved!

This is one area in my life that I really had a long time accepting. I had to deal with it. Looking back, I think the good thing that had happened was the fact that I did not force myself right away to embrace this, without fully understanding and experiencing the things that I had to go through. I took my time and I'm glad I did. Thinking twice about tithing? Don't be in a rush. But believe me, when you start with,you won't stop because like me, you'll find yourself experiencing the endless blessings He has prepared for you!