Friday, September 10, 2010

My Casual Work

I consider myself lucky and blessed to have been given the opportunity to continue practicing my teaching profession here in Sydney. As they say, not all Filos get to have that chance. A bonus was given to me when I received my assessment and got the highest classification as well, a five year trained and step 13 teacher, which means my salary grade is O-K. Super OK. Looking and comparing what I get now from my salary, 3 days worth of work here is equivalent to my 1 month's salary back in Manila. A big blessing indeed.

I tried applying for a full-time job as a teacher, but I think, God is still asking me to wait. Looking at our situation now, I believe I would have chosen the same path. I can't do a 5-day work here in Sydney. If I do, my family life would suffer and I wouldn't want that. So I'm thankful that I come in 3 or 4 times a week for work and still have the time to be a homemaker on days that I don't have a call.

At first, I was a bit apprehensive to do relief teaching although in Ateneo, I spent my last year as a Relief Teacher. It is a bit stressful for me to get the call just early in the morning and just see the activities to be done on the actual day. Even as a relief teacher I don't like to short change my students. I would want to know the stuff I'm teaching them and I would like of course to teach the correct lessons. But as I've said, after a year of doing casual work, I am getting used to it as well.

There are peak and off-peak seasons as well for casual teachers. At first I got scared that I didn't get too many calls during the first term. But after having small chats with casual teachers, they said it was normal. And true enough, now on the third term, I have been getting work 2-3 days a week! On school holidays though, I don't get paid. Which is ok with me.

I also like the feeling that there are no strings attached. I don't get to do plans and is not required to attend meetings and stay in school after school hours. So right after dismissal, I'm on my way home already and when I'm home I don't worry about plans or quizzes or the like.

It is challenging also for a casual teacher to handle the class because most of the time, they tend to act differently if their real teacher is away. From the classes that I have handled, I can clearly pinpoint the teachers who has managed their class well. Even if they are out, their students still are well-behaved and engage in the school activities.

Thirdly, it is also challenging for a casual teacher to make her presence felt in the staff room when every body seems to know everyone. Well, at least now I have been getting regular calls from one school so I'm slowly getting to know most of the teachers. And now, I was able to meet a fellow Filo teacher, working as full-time, who used to work in Ateneo as well. It's good to know I am now working with someone who used to work with the same people I used to work with. We even exchanged names of the list of teachers in Ateneo!


I also feel good when I see that my class management techniques have been used my the permanent teachers as well. As they say, imitation is the best compliment. I think they saw it was effective so they used it as well. At first there were only 2 or 3 teachers who I saw using the same technique, but now, it seems everyone is using it! And I feel good! :)

God is good. Though I know that it wasn't in our initial plans for me to work when we get here in Sydney, He allowed me to do so. I was very willing to give up my profession but I think the Lord has plans for me.

I thank the Lord for my casual work. Despite the challenges, it is still one BIG blessing!