Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sisters' Act

I have two sisters. Looking back, I think I was closer to the boys in the family -- my Kuya and our Bunso, Beloy. I guess the three of us had more similarities than me with my sisters. When my Ate started working, things began to change. Both my Kuya and her were very responsible and showed the extent of their generosity by sharing their resources to the family. When they got to try out a new resto, they made sure that the entire family will also get to have the opportunity to eat or dine there. I remember having to travel in our small Volkswagen all the way to Megamall just as so we can try out this new Thai restaurant. Of course, after eating, we all can't fit anymore so my Kuya had to commute already going home! (such happy times :)). We also had the chance to spend family weekends every now and then in the different hotels in Manila, c/o my Ate. I will treasure these bonding times forever.

My Kuya story is another long story, so let me focus now on my Ate. When she migrated and soon decided to settle in Sydney with her family, of course, the family was sad. But as they say (and I know now) that you have to be ready to make sacrifices for your family. To make the long story short, the whole family supported her decision, not knowing that soon my Kuya's family and my own family will be migrating as well.

During the time that I was still in Manila, I guess, our relationship became more mature, especially when my Kuya's family arrived in Sydney as well. We exchanged emails and had nice (but short) phone calls. Me reporting to them what was happening to us and my other siblings who were in Manila. When we finally received our PR visas, she was one of those people who were very excited for our arrival. I was excited, but not that too excited hehe. Good things have come our way since arriving here, one of which is the opportunity to bond with my siblings and become closer to them and their families, more so with my Ate.

My journey here in Sydney is not really a bed of roses. During those times that I needed someone to watch over me (when I am sick), or talk with me, or listen to me (especially on topics that are too emotional or shallow for my Kuya to hear, hehe), she is there. The past days, I have been wanting a break. I felt I needed to go out and have a break. My girlfriends are back in Manila so how can I have that break? My Ate knew (and understood) what I was going through so after sending me a simple SMS, we decided to have coffee yesterday afternoon. She picked me up at home and we headed to the nearest shop. It was a good one. We laughed on silly stories, shared stories, and I listened to her "words of wisdom" on areas I know she knows more than me. I am thankful that during the time I had to expereince these struggles, she is just a phone call away. Our closeness is still a work in progress, but I thank the Lord for allowing me to have this opportunity to bond with her, especially now that we are both grown-ups and have families of our own. Looking forward to more sisters' act in the future!