Friday, September 24, 2010

This is the Life!

At half past two this morning I suddenly found myself, awake, as in fully awake. Tried hard to get back to sleep but my efforts were useless. Instead, I just used that quiet time to reflect and pray. It was the best time since everyone was fast asleep and it was so very quiet.

While thanking the Lord for everything that I have, I suddenly bumped into this realization: This is the life I have dreamt of!

Yes, I haven't won the jackpot of the lottery (although I did win recently, approximately $90), and I don't have mansions or yatchs, or sports cars, or the like, but I felt I am now joyfully contented with my life. Sometimes, I do get a bit scared thinking that I have too much blessings, that after a day or two, I'd lose everything. But I know that the Lord is a good Lord and He only wants the best for us.

Why am I joyfully contented? Well, for one, my family (and extended families at that) all enjoy the best of health. Yes, we still experience discomforts and physical pain every now and then, but I think generally, we are all healthy.

I have a job that is supportive of our aim to still spend quality time with the family. My husband has a good job as well.

Thirdly, I can buy the things that I want and when I want it. I love shopping, and I do splurge (especially on branded items) every now and then (deprived kasi nung bata! hehehe), so I am so thankful that the Lord has given us extras to have some luxury every now and then. Actually Alvin has been asking me recently already what I would want for my birthday (he is really poor with planning surprises), I've been thinking what to ask him, but with all the shopping that I get to do almost every week, I feel like it's my birthday everyday! I admit, he has spoiled me by giving me the freedom to buy the things that I like. But, I don't do that everyday (have to save up for the rainy days). And I am happy.





I get to sleep at night without worrying about any outstanding debts or loans that still needs to be paid. Would you believe, we don't have any credite cards yet? (Because we think it will just tempt us to spend beyond our means). And with the luxuries every now and then, we still get to save.

I get to spend quality and quantity time with my hubby and my little boy.

My marriage is a work in progress but we believe that it is being blessed by the Lord everyday.

I have a happy family life.

I am surrounded by loving and God-loving friends.

Some people might find it weird considering I have only these, when other people have much, much more. But looking inside my heart, I know that these are the things that I have hoped and prayed for. The financial blessings are just a bonus. These are the things that I have and my heart just overflows with gratitude and thanksgiving.

Yes, we still have dreams, plans and aspirations -- to travel every two years with the kids, to have our own home here in Australia (aside from our lot in Manila), and a lot more...but I think I have come to that point were I won't be bothered when it does not materialize the way we want it to and when we want it. I know that in His goodness, it will come. I don't have to have everything to be happy. As they say, when you are contented with what you have, surely, happiness (or joy) follows. As for now, I enjoy each day, with my heart full of joy because I am living the life!