Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Health is Wealth

In my 31 years of existence, I have only been hospitalized 3 times. One was because I had to go appendectomy, the second was when I gave birth to my son and lastly, because I had dengue.

The last one was an eye opener for me. It was then that I realized that health, above anything else should be given priority. If my husband and I didn't go to the hospital at the right time, I might be dead by now, since my platelet count has reached a very low count already - 50 to be exact. People in the medical profession know that this platelet value is very dangerous already. I am thanking the Lord for extending my life.

A couple of weeks ago I consulted a GP and through series of tests I learned that I had polycystic ovaries. I was of course surprised because not in my wildest dreams did I have an inkling that I was part of the statistics. For one, I always had my monthly period. Though I experienced heavy and painful menstruations, I always had it every month. I am just thankful that even if I was one, I am one, I didn't have a hard time conceiving for my son. Many people that I know who have the same case are still hoping that someday they will be given the chance to have a child as well. I still have some follow-up consultations with the doctor. I believe my experiences have taught me that even if you have all the money in the world, it is useless if you're not healthy, or you're dead at that.

The other day this belief was put to a test when I received a phone call to have another casual teaching day. Having a teaching day would of course mean, additional income and additonal money for us. But then it had a conflict with my appointment to the doctor attending to my present health situation. When I turned down the offer, I was a bit disappointed. I felt bad actually. I had to sit down and realize again what my priorities are. Health as I have written a few spaces ago, is one of them. One of the most important.

My feeling bad soon passed quickly because I know that there will be more offers for me. Because at this point in my life I have realized how valuable one's health is. I want to live a life that proves that health is wealth, not only for myself, but more so for my family.