Saturday, January 19, 2013

Biography

One of my goals this year is to continue reading good books. I started working on that goal by reading two biographies the last two weeks.

I was able to read: Kate: A Princess in Waiting (book published before she got married to Prince William) and Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn.

In those two books, what really stood out for me was the role their respective mothers played in what they have achieved.

Kate's mum was the key factor on why she was able to study in private and expensive schools, like that of St. Andrew's where she met her Prince. It was her mother's party business that did it for the Middletons.

As for Audrey Hepburn, her mum's family was very rich, she was in fact a lady with a title, but the 2nd World War changed all of that. Still, it didn't hinder her mum to do odd jobs (in terms of a woman who has a title, born and raised in the upper class) like cleaning, being a cashier, and the like just as so she can support Audrey's dance classes. So Audrey can pursue her love for ballet.

Indeed, what a mother's love can do!

The books were inspiring and aside from these I have mentioned, there were still a lot of lessons to be learned just by reading the stories and their family's histories. I just highlighted the one that appealed to me the most, maybe because of the simple fact that I am a mother too :)