Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Very Short List


I started playing my Christmas Cd’s last week. The Christmas bug has definitely hit me. The songs we play during this season, makes it more special. The music we have during this season makes the celebration magical. Happy memories are not forgotten because the songs that go with it remain with us. I have been a fan of Christmas songs since I was a kid but I haven’t really sat down and listed my favourites. So here I am now, sharing my Top 5, okay, I’ll see if I can have seven or even more, Christmas songs, the singer and the reason why I love the song as well.

1) The Christmas Song. Nat King Cole. It’s been a favourite since I was on third grade. It’s a classic. I need not elaborate why this is one top of my list. I am pretty sure many of you find yourselves on the same boat. Just to share it was only 4 years ago when I actually learned that the title of this song is The Christmas Song. When I was younger and people asked me what my favourite Christmas song is, I’d tell them its: “Chestnuts roasting” =D

2) Jingles Bells by Frank Sinatra. The first few lines of his rendition is J-I-N-G-L-E bells. While you can hear the bells from the background. The song was unique. It was different from the usual Jingle bell song that starts with “dashing through the snow” that we always hear from the carollers. And hey, it’s Frank Sinatra.

3) Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. I’m pretty sure almost all artists have their own rendition, so I’m not choosing any singer for this. The song is on my list because it tries to inspire the listeners ...”from now on our troubles will be out of sight...” especially now in our problematic world, we really do need some inspiration every now and then.

4) Pasko na Sinta Ko by Gary Valenciano. For the lovebug in me. Well, as they say, Christmas is the time of the year where you’re either in love or out of love.

5) Paskong Walang Hanggan by Philippine Madrigal Singers with Philharmonic Orchestra. This is a new favourite. You don’t usually hear this being played on the radio. Just imagine the intensity of the song while it is being sung by the Madrigal Singers. It is a favourite because it captures everything about how Christmas is back at home.

Well, there you go. That is now my top 5. There are a lot more but I can’t seem to convince myself that they are my favourites, yet. As for the moment, I’ll continue to enjoy the feeling and the joy I experience everytime I listen to these songs. Merry Christmas everyone!