Sunday, January 5, 2014

Family Traditions

I am inspired to write more family-themed blog entries because a few days ago I got a text message from a friend and told me how she enjoys reading my entries, "so much thought and depth put into each post/blog."

I was actually surprised because I didn't know she was taking the time to read my blog entries! She is one very busy mum! It was a humbling experience. Admittedly, there was a time in my blogging life when I felt I lost focus. Instead of focusing on what really pushed me to have a blog in the first place, my entries focused on some of the not-so-important ones :-) The shallow ones. I'm happy I survived that stage and I'm back on track.

Now to my real entry -- family traditions. Over Christmas break, I chanced upon an article that tells parents that the best time to start introducing family traditions are when the children are still young. It posed a question at the end of the article asking the reader what family traditions do you want to impart to your kids? It made me think and reflect.

Ano nga ba ang mga tradisyon na gusto kong kalakihan ng mga anak ko?

The following are a result of my quite moments:

Christmas

- Christmas eve mass is non-negotiable
- Christmas eve and Christmas day family should  be complete
- Christmas eve dinner, family should be complete
- Mass for the Feast of the Holy Family, the family should be complete

New Year
- bless the home, every nook and corner with Holy Water at the stroke of midnight (this was passed on by my own Mum)
- always start the year right by attending the Jan 1 mass as a family
- reading of "Thank you Jar" notes for the previous year as we have our Thanksgiving prayer during New Year's Eve

Birthdays
- family should be complete in the celebration
- celebrant should always have Mass in thanksgiving for another year
- birthday cake
- birthday photo and hand print for every year

Easter/Holy Week
- annual family trip
- Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday are non-negotiable. Family has to be complete to attend church services regardless where we are


I don't know how to group these, but:
- always bless from the elderly and priests
- use "po" and "opo" when addressing the elderly kababayans here
- praying the rosary as a family everyday (I'm proud and happy that Liam is now okay with praying the rosary and Sam now knows Our Father)
- morning prayers as a family
- going to church on Sundays is non-negotiable
- teaching of "Angel of God" to kids as their first prayer
- grace before meals
- praying over before major trips, major events (like job interviews, exams) or when someone is sick
- there should only be ONE TV at home! no TV inside bedrooms

I realized most of the things I listed above are practices of the faith. I agree with our parish priest when he said that the parents are instrumental in letting the future generation understand and do the practices of the faith so I guess you can't really blame me :-)

I might have missed some so I'll be updating this list from time to time.

Aside from the religious family traditions, we want to have:
- regular mum-son, dad-daughter, mum-daughter, dad-son bonding and dates
- family portraits every year
- one major family outreach to the less fortunate

I'm also compiling a group of projects, which I hope I get to do while the kids are growing up. I'm not expecting them to do the same, but if they continue with the practice, then I guess these projects will now be a part of family tradition :-)
Here are some of the projects I want to do:
- school portfolio of their best works in school with their school photo
- balloon birthday photo (kids holding balloons, the number of balloons depend on their age)
- hand print key chain every birthday
- letters every year they will open when they grow up

I actually have a long list of projects, I'll be making a separate blog as soon as I start doing them. But for now, I'll be doing baby steps.

To date, we have started doing most of the religious family traditions. Hopefully when both kids are much older we can fully explain to them why we are doing such practices. For now, we are happy that they are being exposed to such practices.

As for my personal projects, I have started doing the letters and I'm happy that I have been consistent with it for the last two years! :-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that we will be able to establish all of these family traditions.

What about you, what family traditions do you want to impart to your kids?